The efficiency of your manufacturing processes depends on your organizational effectiveness. Starting or growing a…
For the safety of your workers and to meet government regulations, it is critical to maintain OSHA compliance. To help, here are some OSHA compliance quick tips for manufacturing. These are some ways to make sure you are on top of some of the most common potential errors when it comes to OSHA compliance. Use it as an OSHA compliance checklist for your business.
1. Bulletin Board Postings
All employees should be aware of the location of the company bulletin board. Items that should appear on your bulletin board where everyone in your facility can see them include:
- The OSHA Job Safety and Health: It’s the Law poster
- The location of Safety Data Sheets
- The location of the First Aid kit
- Information on where to find the OSHA Manual (OSHA website information)
- Any necessary emergency contact numbers
2. Emergency Procedures
Make sure you and your employees are clear on all emergency evacuation procedures. This can include:
- Having your OSHA compliance manager make sure all emergency exits are unlocked from the inside when any employees are in the facility
- Making sure all employees know the meeting place in the event of an emergency evacuation
- Making sure all employees know an emergency number to call if they cannot access the meeting place during evacuation
3. Eyewash Station
Ensure proper compliance with ANSI Z358.1 standards by:
- Protecting your eyewash heads from airborne contaminants with proper covers
- Ensuring the valves activate in a second or less and continue to run hands-free
Other OSHA Compliance policies that are easy to verify include:
- Making sure there is at least 18-inches between the ceiling and any shelves or items on those shelves so the sprinklers can work as designed
- Keeping the manifest tracking form whenever any medical waste is transported off-site. It’s safest to hold onto these forms for five years
Key OSHA Compliance Tip
In addition to the tips above, one of the most important pieces of advice to follow when it comes to OSHA Compliance is to make sure your employees are all properly trained. Even if your new hire has years of experience in your industry and claims to be fully-trained on OSHA, each company has safety and health policies specific to their facility that each employee needs to know.
If finding effective OSHA training in the south central Pennsylvania area has been a challenge to you, contact us at MANTEC. Focused training for manufacturing businesses is one of the things we do best, and OSHA training is a particular specialty of ours.
Our training courses are taught be people with a manufacturing background who know OSHA extremely well and know the best techniques for imparting the necessary OSHA information to your employees. We offer OSHA training and other workforce development services throughout south central PA, including counties such as Adams, Cumberland, Dauphin, Franklin, Fulton, Lancaster, Lebanon, Perry and York. We also have online training options. For information on securing highly-efficient, comprehensive training for your office, contact MANTEC today.