Quality is the top priority for any serious manufacturing entity. Companies must implement reliable quality systems in every area of the manufacturing operation if it expects to produce superior, long-lasting goods that meet their customers’ expectations. The top manufacturers in every industry use the ISO 9001 standard as their guide when developing and implementing quality management systems for their organization.
What Is ISO 9001?
The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) — headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland — is an independent global body comprised of 163 nations that sets voluntary standards to promote the safety, reliability and quality of goods and services. The ISO 9001 standard specifically outlines the requirements that manufacturing operations must meet and maintain regarding their quality management systems.
ISO 9001 offers an effective, process-oriented approach to the development and implementation of quality management systems. ISO 9001:2008 is the current standard and will be replaced by the updated ISO 9001:2015 standard in September 2018.
What Are the Benefits of Getting ISO 9001 Certified?
Manufacturing entities can pursue third-party certification to validate their knowledge and expertise of the various ISO 9001 practices and procedures. Attaining certification can benefit organizations in many ways:
- Commitment to continuous improvement – Getting ISO 9001 certified demonstrates the organization’s sincere and unwavering commitment to constantly improve their quality management systems, which results in the ability to deliver consistently high-quality goods to their customers.
- Cost reduction – The certification process provides guidance for helping manufacturers find ways to streamline their production processes and lower their operating costs.
- Attract more customers – By demonstrating and validating your commitment to quality, ISO 9001 certification can help you attract more customers – many companies will not do business with any organization that is not certified.
- Greater customer satisfaction – By helping to improve quality management systems and the quality of your goods and services, ISO 9001 certification will allow you to fulfill the needs of your customer base, which will help you build loyalty and improve retention.
- Demonstrate strong corporate governance and stability – Attaining certification shows that yours is a solid, stable organization with strong management that is dedicated to becoming an industry leader.
- Improved supply chain performance – The ISO 9001 certification process will provide the knowledge you need to work more effectively with other organizations in your supply chain, resulting in improved performance from the bottom of the chain to the top.
Why Make the Transition to ISO 9001:2015?
If your organization is currently ISO 9001:2008 certified, you should consider making the transition to ISO 9001:2015 as soon as possible to ensure your organization can adapt to the changing business climate. Key topics covered by the updated standard include:
- New quality management system requirements in areas such as documentation, planning and process interactions
- Upgraded management responsibilities
- Effective use of internal auditing and other tools for measuring, analyzing and improving quality management systems
- More efficient management of all available resources
- Enhanced steps in the product realization process from conception through delivery
MANTEC Offers Comprehensive ISO 9001 Training in York, PA
York, PA-based MANTEC provides an exceptional ISO 9001 training program for small and medium-sized manufacturing operations in South Central PA. Our training will give you and your staff the knowledge base and skills needed to complete the stringent ISO 9001:2015 certification process. All training sessions are conducted by experienced manufacturing professionals who bring an abundance of real-world expertise to the instructional process.
As a nonprofit consulting firm, MANTEC can offer affordable ISO 9001 training that will maximize your return on investment.
Give us a call today at 717-843-5054 to learn more about our PA ISO 9001 training program.